February 18, 2014

Nothing Better Than a Clean Home




When Mike and I moved from our apartment to the townhome we doubled our square-footage and tripled the number of bathrooms we had. While we love the space, it is amazing how much more cleaning we do everyday.

Looking at pinterest and other lifestyle blogs, it seems there are two camps of thought on keeping a house clean: the week-enders and the week-dayers. For instance, many of the cleaning 'lists' you will see floating around the web breakdown chores with daily to-do's Monday through Friday. On the other hand, Apartment Therapy published an article recently that broke down how to clean on a weekend-only basis.

I lucked out that Mike is tidy and bit of a germaphobe. While I am more focused on organizing and de-cluttering, he has no problem scrubbing toilets or washing dishes (no you cannot borrow him). We tend to keep the kitchen clean and at least try to throw our dirty clothes in the hamper, but I would throw us in the 'weekender' crowd when it comes to the bigger stuff. Mike wakes up before 7 am no matter what so we tend to get most of our chores out of the way before Costco even opens on Saturday.

With a bigger house, I tend to get side-tracked while cleaning so I came up with a "top-to-bottom" method. This applies the the house as a whole as well as each individual room e.g. I start upstairs in our bedroom and put away everything that has been tossed on top of the dresser or scattered around the bathroom vanity and then make my way all the way down to dusting the baseboards and lastly, Mike comes in with the vacuum (I got him a Dyson for his birthday while we were still in the apartment and it's tied with the waffle maker for his favorite present ever).

On that note, I'm off to fold laundry. My mom used to joke when I was little that I had more laundry than the other three members of the household combined and I have yet to break myself of that habit.

Image: Domino Magazine Holiday 2013 (I wish my shoe collection looked like that)

1 comment:

  1. Count yourself lucky that you found a match for your neat habits! You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete