September 12, 2013

Staring at the Stairs

Am I the only one who thinks there is something romantic about having a staircase in your house? I know Mike definitely doesn't even consider things like this... his response would be "they're stairs -- they get you from one story to the next," but he has to admit having a staircase adds architectural interest to any space.

Right now, our staircase is neither romantic nor interesting, but of course, we have some big plans for this space starting with ripping out that yucky brown carpet that covers our entire upstairs.



View looking down the stairs at the front door

Since the stairs are the first thing you see when you walk in, I feel like they set the tone for the whole house. Mike and I agreed that we'd like to install walnut flooring to replace the carpet with white risers on the stairs. Like this:

Wirtheimer Architect 

Unfortunately, the previous owners picked out an engineered flooring for downstairs that Mike and I aren't crazy about. I like some variation in texture or grain but the what they chose has far too much variation for my taste. While I am open to a lighter wood as well, I love how sharp the walnut looks against white.

Another addition to the stairwell will be board & batten along the wall behind the door and up the staircase. Mike always looks at me like I am speaking a different language when I say 'board & batten' but then I turn to pinterest for some visual help. I'm kind of torn between a more subtle detail or a chunkier version. Which do you prefer?

Urban Lens Studios
Unknown
Country Living
Complete with a fun color for the inside of the front door (we can't paint the outside due to HOA rules) and a pendant light in the stairwell, I think these stairs will be worth staring at.

No comments:

Post a Comment