October 16, 2013

Quick Trip to Tahoe

As a break from the house and all the things that have been stressing us out lately, last weekend we stepped away and headed up to Tahoe with my dad. I had never been to Tahoe during the fall but absolutely loved it. You wouldn't even notice all the Aspen's in the summer but their beautiful yellow leaves were hard to miss! The smooth waters, fresh air, and lack of people had Mike and I almost giddy.


We both worked from home Friday morning and got on the road around 1:00 - just in time to hit Sacramento traffic around 3:30 - but once we got past Auburn there was almost no one heading up the mountain. We stopped in and grabbed groceries to make dinner for us and my dad on our way through Tahoe City and finally made it into Chinquapin just as it was getting dark.

Chinquapin is small community on the Lake a few miles North of Tahoe City made up of .... townhomes! I didn't get a proper picture of our family's unit, but there are a few different models ranging from 1-5 bedrooms. I've been coming here for a week almost every summer since I can remember and have some of my best memories of staying up late with all my cousins or just spending time out on the lake with my parents and sister.

It's also the future sight of our wedding!


The small cottage behind us is the Dollar House (named for Dollar Point) and was built in the 1920s. The house itself has been redone over the years to include a modern kitchen and has an amazing flagstone patio and private dock where our ceremony and reception will be held. I wanted to get married someplace where we visit often so we can stand in the very spot we said 'I Do' and remember the wonderful day we had.

Other highlights of the trip included meeting our caterers (and deciding they were the one!), strolling along the Lake with my dad, and checking out possible restaurants for our rehearsal dinner. I haven't quite gotten in the habit of taking pictures often, but here are a few other good ones from the trip.




It surprises me how all it takes is a day away from my everyday life to 'reset' my mood and outlook on life. Anyone else been able to sneak away lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment