October 31, 2013

Creativity




Apartment Therapy had an interesting article the other day about how to cultivate creativity in your everyday life. I liked the article itself but one of the comments is what really stuck out for me. I often find myself staring at tax forms or at the greige walls of my cube wishing I had a 'creative' job where I was immersed in colors, fabric swatches, and light fixtures all day. I never really thought about the opposite - someone living my dream life wishing they were an accountant.

I know there are other ways to find creativity in a job that's otherwise pretty black and white, but in my case, "creative accounting" has a whole different meaning (and not necessarily a good one). There is the obvious suggestion of developing your passion on the side or as a hobby, but the all-or-nothing in me thinks I would be better served by focusing on one or the other. For instance, as far as career development, I should be spending my nights and weekends studying for my CPA exams but instead I opted to spend the last three weekends on the kitchen cabinets.

Mike lucked out with a career that has components of each embedded in his job description, but for those of us on the extremes of either side, how do you make it work for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment